Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Boys

Its amazing to me how God gives each of the volunteers here a different heart for the boys. All of us get attached to specific kids, and each attachment is totally God given. He reveals to us the different qualities He finds wonderful in each boy, so that those serving here are called to specific children. I used to think it was bad to have favorites, and it is bad to show that favoritism, but its not bad to love like Jesus does. I love all the boys in our programs and in our home, but there are a few who stand out. In the home, its harder, because I am closer to those boys and really appreciate each one. In the street programs, I can only bond with so many, and I want to share what makes each of those boys precious and amazing to me.

 Eddy was in the home for awhile, but ran away to many times. He now lives in Grace Home (I think everyone knows what I think about that place...). He is 14, and wants to be a doctor. He is very devoted to his studies, and is also very responsible. One of the boys in our home ran away, and Eddy found him and brought him back. He didn't want this other boy to throw away his chance at a better life. At Grace, Eddy takes care of the younger boys. He is very shy, but also very smart and super humble. At 14, Eddy knows that he cannot pick scrap anymore for extra money, because it is to tempting to run back to the streets- how much self control can one kid have? He also gets super bad migraines, which I can relate with, and so I feel a special bond with him. I want to become Eddy's sponsor when I leave, and am trying to put him in boarding school. Right now, I take Eddy to dinner once a week. Its so important that he knows someone believes in him and loves him.

Michael is 10 and is in our street programs. I swear, you've never seen such a darling child. His smile melts my heart every time, and he has these round baby cheeks that are so cute. He is very charming, and funny, and bright. He is also SUPER difficult. He comes to programs late almost every day, and does a lot of chenge (drugs), which breaks my heart. Michael knows that I love him very much, but it is not enough to ease the pain of living on the streets. He is disobedient, and stubborn, and it kills me. One of my goals this summer is to spend some individual time with Michael, and let him know how loved and special he really is.

Abdul is about 13 or 14 and is the most hard working kid ever. Every day, he helps the uncles cook, set up the meal, and wash the plates for our street programs. He fetches water and charcoal, and never complains. He is super funny and sweet. His English is not that good, but he tries. I am so thankful that God has kept a special hand over this boy; he has been living on the streets awhile, but he is still a really good kid. He is honest, and kind, and doesn't fight with the other boys. I know that even at a young age, Abdul is trying to put on the armor of God to survive the streets. This kid is amazing!

Big Peter is one of a few boys who lives with two of our uncles (David and Laurence). Peter will become an uncle someday, I am sure of it. He is learning how to make beads as a craft so he will be able to make money. He is also very hard working, and a boy after Gods own heart. I am not sure how old he is, but I think he must be at least 16. There is a good chance that soon, he and another boy (who I will get to in a moment) are going to be sent to school. They will get their own apartment, and be responsible for living on their own with an allowance. I know that Peter will be able to do it, and I know that God has big things planned for this boy.

Musa is the other boy that will be sponsored with Peter. He also lives with the uncles. Musa is one of the most sensitive, caring boys ever. He takes care of the street dogs that come to our programs, and is super shy and sweet. He never fights with the other kids, and is very obedient and helpful. I also believe that Musa will become an uncle someday, because he has a heart for serving the boys in our programs, even though he is still one of them!

Little Peter is the last boy who lives with the uncles (they live in a one room apartment, and are so devoted to serving God). Peter is 11 or so, and is very smart. He is also super funny and sweet, and really obedient. He loves to share with the other boys, and help out whenever he can. He is always making me laugh at the funny things he says, and I often find myself wondering "where did he come up with that?". He is wise beyond his years, and is also very devoted to serving Jesus. Hopefully, Peter will also be going to school soon with a program called African Hearts.

There are SO many boys I could mention (Little Isma, Mathew, Duncan, Ivan, Dan) all of whom are on the streets and all of whom are amazing kids. There are also two new boys (Alex, the one I mentioned in my last post, and Mark who is older but shows amazing potential) that I am super excited to get to know better. I know that these boys are Gods, and I know that He loves them more than I do, but I also know that He has given me a special heart to love each of them. I want to see these kids the way Jesus does- seeing their flaws and loving them beyond words anyways. If anyone would like to join me in praying for these kids, I would totally appreciate that! I will try to update again on these kids before I leave :)

No comments:

Post a Comment