Saturday, June 11, 2011

Equatorial Thunderstorm

Oh my word. Its raining, like, RAINING. Like, only on the equator in the jungle sort of raining. There is thunder that shakes the windows, and beautiful lightning. And its humid, and wet, and super muddy. Then to add to the fun, I looked out my window into this big tree in our yard only to see a little monkey hiding from the rain! If pit latrines and bathing out of a bucket didn't do the trick, I now know I am in Africa. Right now, the boys are all hyper because they are stuck inside. Sometimes living with them I feel like Wendy in Peter Pan- all these formerly lost boys. They challenge me each day; they are wild and loud and they fight with each other, and I want to pull out my hair. But then they smile at me, tell me they love me, and give me a hug, and every frustrating moment is so worth it. I got a huge prayer answered today. A few days ago (right around when I got sick) two of the boys that I am particularly close with decided they didn't want anything to do with me. The psychologist in me knows that they are afraid to trust/love me because they do not want me to hurt them (they have been hurt enough). But my heart was still broken; I just kept loving them and it hurt that they did not return it at all. Today however, they have each decided to get over it. We all played together, and they are giving me hugs and wanting to spend time with me. Its been a lesson in 1) what being a parent must look like and 2) the devotion God has to me. How many times do I turn away from Him, even when His love is always strong? How much must that hurt my Father? These kids are such a challenge and a blessing. Also, just to let everyone know, I am feeling much better today. Hopefully by Monday I will be ready for street programs again :) This place is really starting to fee like home to me. Thanks for all your prayers!! They are working!!

No comments:

Post a Comment