Friday, November 30, 2012

Meet My Kids: Bashil

Bashil making one of his crazy faces!
If you were to visit our programs for one afternoon, you would notice a very small and VERY wild little boy. He is often making the most absurd faces at strangers, and has virtually perfected the “stink eye”. He can be found starting fights (many of them) or annoying the older boys. He speaks in a high pitched, extremely fast way, like the words cannot get out of his mouth fast enough. He probably has ADD... it says something that out of all the street kids I work with, this child’s behavior stands out as potentially ADD. But all that said, this little boy is maybe the cutest child you’ve ever seen! He says the sweetest things you’ve ever heard, and smiles in the most open and loving way imaginable.

Being about 8, Bashil will be the baby of the family. He is still so young in so many ways. He annoys the life out of his older brothers, but they adore him in that “only a little sibling could get away with this..” kind of way. Bashil still rubs his eyes with his fist, like a toddler would. He completely falls
Two hands make one heart :)
apart when he is hungry, and as his mom, I already recognize his unique “I’m hungry”, grumpy face. He falls asleep anywhere, pretty much as soon as he feels safe enough to rest. When he sees me, he runs and jumps in my arms. He is the only one of my kids young enough to pick up, or who I allow to sit on my lap. And Lord knows this child makes me laugh! I cannot help it! He has terrible manners, and we are working on his social skills. But there is no doubt, he is mine :)

I don’t know Bashil’s story, but I do know he has been on the streets a long time. I know he has been abandoned, and that he is still young enough to want a family. I also know he is way too wild for any home but mine. I know that God put him on my heart, and he fits there perfectly. Although Bashil is probably the most difficult of my children, in a weird way he is also the easiest. I don’t know how to explain it, maybe it is because he is so young.
Bashil and me after a day at the beach
Being his mom is natural (I am not saying it isn’t with my other kids; I really cannot explain it well). I recognize his behaviors, and while they are challenging, I can predict them. I know when he is tired, or hungry, or sad, or just needs a hug. I know when to push him to talk, and when to give him space to think. I know which battles to pick, and which to leave alone. While I have known Bashil a short amount of time (about 5 months), it feels like he has always been in my life. God has given me special understanding for all of my children, but understanding Bashil takes less effort than some of the others.


Jesus, thank you for bringing Bashil into my life, and into my family.
Jesus I praise you for the passion and energy Bashil has for life!
Lord, I praise you for making such a beautiful and creative child.

Father, I am beyond blessed by Bashil. Thank you for the honor entrusting me with his care.

No comments:

Post a Comment