Monday, November 12, 2012

A Wonderful Birthday

Today was my birthday :) Now, I have celebrated many happy birthdays in the US with my loving family, but I must say never have I had one quite like this...

We have a wonderful team here this week, and I am so glad they are here to serve with us. That being said, I didn't expect to celebrate anything today. I honestly was just going to ignore my birthday, because there are more important things going on. I was very surprised then, when we celebrated with the street kids.

At programs today, I realized Abby was organizing the kids to sing me happy birthday. This itself was a lot, and just having them sing to me was special. We had about 90 boys at programs today, so their birthday song was loud! After the song, Uncle Abdul had some of the boys come up and appreciate me. Abby had given some of the boys I am closest to presents (which she bought; two beautiful pairs of earrings, and THREE bouquets of flowers) that they were to give me. They got up in front of everyone, and told me how much I meant to them. They told me how happy it made them that I take care of them, and that they know I sacrificed a lot to leave my family and friends in America to be with them. They told me they love me. 

After the "official" presents were given, other boys started to get up. They came in front of the whole group to say how much I mean to them. After they spoke, they would come give me a gift. After a few of these speeches, the boys had permission to give me a hug. They all ran at me, like a wave of children, as swallowed me in hugs. They shouted they loved me, and gave me gifts. These kids don't have anything, but whatever they had they gave to me. One boy, Issac, had a new little toy. I don't even know what it is exactly, but he loves it. He had shown it to all of us at least three times that day already. When it was his turn to give me a hug, he gave me his new toy. It was the most precious thing I have ever seen, because you could see it was painful to part with. But still, he loved me, and that was the only thing he had to offer me (In case you're worried, I kept it and am planning on giving it back to him tomorrow. It would have been rude to refuse it today). They gave me the little money they had, and candy they had gotten, and food. I got broken watches, and crackers, and notes. Literally, whatever they had on them, they gave as a token of their love.

Let me just emphasize, my kids are AMAZING! My birthday gift was their love. They are the most giving, caring children I know. They are so special and wonderful and good! It is because of this that I love them so much. I am honored that they trust me. I am honored they know I love them. I am honored I get to share Christ with them. I am honored to be a part of their lives. They are beautiful, and I love them.

After programs me, Abby and Amy went to my favorite restaurant for dinner. I had delicious ice cream for dessert. Overall, it was a wonderful birthday. Seriously, I am so blessed.

I am blessed to have this life God has given me.
I am blessed to know these children. To be part of their lives, and have their love and trust.
I am blessed to have a best friend who knows what makes me feel special.
I am blessed to have so many other amazing friends and co-workers who love me.
I am blessed to have a family and friends in America who loves me too, and who sent me a lot of love today.

I am just blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment