Monday, November 19, 2012

Love Knows No Bounds

So, as I posted previously, I now have 5 boys that God has placed on my heart. They are specific boys (Bashil, Kasozi, Alex, Sabote, and Yahaya) who are going to come into my home (Joseph's House) and be my children. The first three I listed are regulars at our programs, and I have known them a long time. The last two, Yahaya and Sabote, are not. These two boys live in Kisenyi, which is the worst slum in Uganda. They do drugs all the time, and therefore cannot remember when it is time for programs. Sabote and Yahaya are two of the most distrustful children I have ever known. They have been on the streets half their lives, and are wary of strangers (and rightfully so!). So in an attempt to connect with them, and begin building the bond/trust that they will require to stay in my home, I have been going to find them every night (and most days) this week. One of our uncles, Laurence, is the toughest guy I know. He has been going with me, and I have never felt so safe- not in Uganda, or anywhere else. Each night, we have been moving to Kisenyi and around Kivulu too. The reason we have gone at night is because during the day, the boys are looking for scrap. They are moving all around the city, and are hard to find. But at night, they settle down for a place to sleep.

The first day we started this, I wanted to meet Sabote. Although I didn't know him yet, God had spoken clearly to my heart that he was coming home. I told just about every street child I knew that I wanted Sabote to come to street programs. Exactly one week ago, I met the last of my 5 children. He came staggering up, totally high, but all smiles. I guess it feels kinda special to know that an auntie has been searching for you. That day, the team we were hosting took the kids swimming. He stayed the whole time, but was pretty wary of me. Before he left that day, I told him I was going to find him again soon.

In order to prove how much I cared, I knew I would need to reach out to them. So the next night, Laurence and me searched for them. We found Sabote and bought him something to eat, then continued to look for Yahaya. We searched for over 3 hours, and had no luck. The next day, we tired again, and ended up finding both of them. They were both happy to see me and Laurence, and we took them to programs and then to dinner. Because they are so distrustful, at dinner I told them why I wanted to see them. I explained that God loved them, and that I loved them very much. I told them I couldn't promise, but that I was going to do everything in my power to bring them off the streets. At this news, they lit up with smiles. After that, they asked me questions and I gave them new clothes.

Since that day, I have found them each night in Kisenyi. I will not pretend it has been easy. I have walked hours and hours this week looking for them. I have traveled to the most dangerous part of the city (which God prompted me to do, and I trust God to keep me safe) and been in crowds of the most dangerous people (poor Laurence has gotten in a few fights defending me. As he informed me, "I would die for you, I will keep you safe"). I sat with Yahaya in the emergency room at 11PM because he was sick; when he threw up on me and I didn't flinch, I knew I was a mom. My clothes are completely dirt caked (in Kisenyi, they sell coal and so the dirt is literally black). I am heartbroken, because each day and night I say goodbye to five little boys who are mind, and who should be home with me. I had to tuck my child in for bed, under a trash bag, on the concrete. I sat with him until he fell asleep, and I cried all the way home. Needless to say, I am exhausted, and this is just the beginning. But no heartbreak or hardship can even compare to the joys this week has brought...

-Watching them giggle together at the restaurant, that first night at dinner. Sabote had never had cold soda, so when the water condensed he freaked out, claiming his soda was leaking.
- Yahaya eagerly showing me where he sleeps, so "I can always find him".
- Sabote's face lighting up with a smile when he saw me in Kisenyi that first night I came to find him.
- Yahaya falling asleep on my lap, driving home from the clinic. 
- Praying with the boys before we part each night. Having both of the boys shout "we must pray" on the night I accidentally forgot.
- Sabote jumping and shouting in the street, trying to flag down a boda in the dark.
- Sabote, showing up at programs today on his own. He didn't bring his drugs, and it was the first time I've seen him sober. He even stayed all day.

**Please pray for Yahaya, as he has been harder to find, and less than eager to come to street programs. Pray that God builds the bond needed, so that he will stay in Joseph's House.

About 5 months ago, things were hard. My family has had a rough year, and I became a full time missionary. As I sat one night, totally broken by all the hard things I was facing, I told God I trusted Him.  I prayed..  

God, you are doing something new. And I cannot see it yet. But I know you have a plan, better than I can imagine. I know that You are bringing a sunrise. And while right now it is still dark, I know Your morning will be glorious. I will be waiting.


The sun has risen; and this sunrise is glorious.



No comments:

Post a Comment