Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Joseph's House

So over the past two weeks, God has cast an amazing vision for His Kingdom here in Uganda. I am so thankful for everything He is doing. He has once again called me (sooner than I expected) to follow Him. So here I go, and I am sooo excited! This is part of an email that went out to friends and family a few days ago. It explains my heart and God’s vision...

**When I came to Uganda, I had no intention of opening my own home. I feel know that I am supposed to be working with API. At the same time, there is a group of boys I am really drawn to. It is those boys who are deeply troubled; boys who do not understand healthy relationships or boundaries, who use lots of drugs, and who resort to fighting when they are upset. I have talked about it in my blog many times, but God always puts these particularly tough boys on my heart. Its a divine love, because its stronger and goes further than my own love. I see a light in these boys! They are the children who have been through too much, but who can make the greatest impact. They are the most caring, protective and empathetic people I know. They loved deeply, and lost greatly because of it. They are the boys nobody else can take. They are truly the least of the least, the exact people God calls us to work with in (Matthew 25:40). Each day I see these boys, who I love SO much, stare into their futures and grow more hopeless. And it breaks my heart, and it breaks the heart of their Father. 

The love for these children is huge on my heart, and I feel God pressing to get them off the streets. It is for this reason that I am following God’s call to help. The API staff and I have decided that I should start my own home, under API. I will still be working with API, and will be involved and supported by the ministry, but this home will be mine. Its going to be a home for a select few troubled boys. We are calling it Joseph’s House, because Joseph is a character in the bible that the boys can relate to. He went through so much, and God lifted him up.

Joseph’s House will be a home for 5 of the most troubled children I have ever met. These boys cannot go into any other home; nobody else can meet their needs. It is because of their specific behavioral needs that the number will be so small. These boys will go to school, and be involved in daily life at home. Joseph’s House will become a family for these boys, and I will be the full time house mother. I am going to be there for these kids 110%, even living with them. I will wake them up in the mornings for school, help them with homework after, take them to soccer practice, do devotions with them each night, and read them all bedtime stories.. In our house, there will also be a full time house uncle (who also lives there) and a cook. Because of the small number of boys, our staff will be able to develop deep and personal bonds with each of the children. The boys will also be receiving individual and group counseling once a week with a certified Ugandan counselor.

I believe that with a stable home, counseling, and the Christlike love me and our staff can offer, these boys can be rehabilitated. They will be in a safe place for the first time in their lives, and they will have parents who love them. The most important part of this is that it is God’s heart; I cannot stress that enough! God is the one who put these boys on my heart. He is the ONLY one who can really heal them. He is the only one who can equip me and the staff for raising these traumatized boys. He is the only one who can provide the funds to make it happen.**

I know many people will doubt me because I am young. People will question me, because there is no way for me to be prepared for all that is to come. But God is the ultimate teacher. And these are His promises to me..

When I humble myself before God, He will generously give me the wisdom I need- James 1:5

I should not be afraid, because God is mighty. He is my God, and He is always with me. He will give me strength, and help me. He will uphold me with His righteousness- Isaiah 41:10


I can do all things through him who strengthens me- Phil 4:13


So God is the creator of these boys. He is the creator of this vision. He is the creator of me. He knows what I need, and I know I need Him. Through Christ, all things are possible. I know that God is going to open the doors, hearts and wallets to bring His children home. And I am so, so excited and overjoyed to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment