Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Thank God for Planes

This is just a little blurb about being a missionary in the modern world. I wanted to praise God for all the beautiful minds He created, for all the technology we have. I have read a lot of personal accounts from missionaries living in the 19 and 20th century, and it makes me realize how amazing I have it. On Friday, I am moving across the world, while that seems daunting, its really only about 2 days away by plane. Airfare is reasonable, and travel is uncomplicated. If I was making this trip 100 years ago, it would look drastically different. I would be staying goodbye to my parents at a doc, ready to part with them possibly forever. Many missionaries left their families for good, either being to poor or to ill to ever travel back to their homelands. I get to see my family in 6 months. While I am whining about the difficulties of my super long flight, its really going to be over in 2 days. If I was making this trip in 1912, I would be facing months at sea, and many stops in foreign countries. When I arrived in Africa, I would have had to hire a guide to take me into the bush, where I would have stayed in a mud hut. I would have traveled days to mail even a letter, and I would have been very isolated.
Now, I don't always get electricity, and by American standards I am very poor. But I have internet. I can Skype with my family, and see their faces. I can send endless emails, and look up Facebook to see what is going on in the social world. I can meet other white people in my city, and eat at American cafes. Going out to the village takes an hour by taxi, and even there we have solar lighting. I have a cell phone. I have a laptop. I have DVDs :) Thank Jesus for all the little things that make my life easier!

Next time I post, I will be in Uganda!! If you are reading this before then, I have a few prayer request specifically for traveling...
1. That I would feel God with me, and not feel so isolated (I always get super lonely when I am traveling)
2. That my travels would go smoothly. That my bags would arrive with me, and that my flights are all on time. 
3. That God gives me peace during this transition time. He wants me to do this, and I am not brave enough on my own. That my anxiety would be low, and I would be calm and have peace about leaving my family.

Thanks to everyone reading this that prays for me- it really means a lot that I am supported, and that I have this wonderful community!

No comments:

Post a Comment