Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Heart of Justice

Injustice is a symptom of sin. I see it all the time; our brokenness expressing itself through the abandonment of those God loves. At the center of justice is the cross. At the heart of justice is Christ.

I gave up my American life to serve Christ here in Uganda, and still I feel its not enough. Right now I am sitting in my room, on my nice bed typing on my computer. Outside, its cold and somewhere dozens of boys I love more than anyone are sleeping on the ground. Their bellies are empty, their hearts are broken and numb, their minds are hazy. Some of them are probably being abused as I write this. And my heart is breaking, is broken anew. I have talked about him a lot lately, but I honestly cannot get him out of my mind- Alex.

Alex is a beautiful, captivating child who has been hurt so badly he holds the world at arms length. He is troubled, and the example of a street child. He is dirty, and rough. He knows to much about this world, and sees to much for his little eyes. He is lost... so lost. And yet when he looks at me, he stares up at me with these haunting big eyes that somehow still capture the innocence that should belong to him. There is still a child in those eyes; they still hold the wonder that comes when discovering the world. I know when he looks at me there is a question too; can you love me? Why should he believe me? This world has failed him. He has never had stability. He has never been protected.
I hate that the is forgotten.
I hate that he is hurting and hungry.
I hate that he is abused.
I hate that he is unwanted.
I hate that he is one of many boys, whom I am equally passionate about.
When I look at him, I see the beautiful boy that God intended him to be. I see the potential he holds for His kingdom. I see what my Father sees.

God is hurting, Christ is calling for justice. I will never be able to give enough for Him who loves so perfectly and who gave it all. I will not wast this chance I have to bring the healing of God’s love to these boys. I will not stop, and I will not surrender. We are fighting injustice every day. I cannot always give happy accounts of perfect endings; this world is broken and I will not cover up the truth. Often, selfishness wins and we loose a fight.
 Injustice is real, but the good news is that God has already won this war, and He is still here fighting each battle with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment