Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hope Never Dies

 Before I write, I want to set this scene for you. Right now, I am sitting on my veranda at 8 am. The sun is not high, and there is a haze over the city. I can see the rolling hills, and the lush green gardens of my house. It smells like rain, even though there was no rain. If anyone has ever been awake early in the morning in Hawaii- that is how it feels. Cool but balmy, and sweet. I have been getting up every morning to read my bible out here, because these mornings are just to beautiful to miss.

On Wednesday I was at street programs hanging out with a few boys I have known for a long time. I love to meet new faces, but its both hard and nice to see familiar ones. As the kids played a game, I sat back and talked with two of these boys (by the way, my Luganda is much better!). One of these boys is named Kato. He is quiet and respectful, but recently every time I see him, he is sad. I was trying to cheer him up, talking to him and telling him how much he is loved. Finally, he gave me a smile... a real smile. It transformed his face into the beautiful, hopeful boy I knew. Later, a boy named Alex (who God has been pressing even more on my heart, and who I will post about later) showed up. I have been waiting for him, wanting to see him. When he saw me, his face broke out into a smile. He is one of those boys that is really difficult, and who people give up on- but he knows we LOVE HIM so much and so he returns to programs. He knows I love him, and he has given me the great honor of his trust. But like Kato, I am watching the hope draining out of his eyes, and it kills a little part of me. We joked around, and I bought him a ice cream. I rejoice each time I see the spark of the happy child he is supposed to be.

Flash forward to yesterday, and I was at our homes in Bombo. Seeing those boys was equally joyful, especially because I have been watching them grow up for the past three years. I know them well, and they know me. There is a trust and love there built on time, and its wonderful. I am so proud of them! They were once an unruly bunch of boys strait off the streets, and now they are boys who live in a family, in a home. God is transforming their lives, making them into young men who love Him. Spending time with them yesterday filled me up, because it was easy and comfortable, but it also gave me great hope. They are the example of what God wants to do with our street boys. How much He desires to rescue them, and transform their lives. See, God is the King of redemption. There is nobody to far from His hand, and nobody that His heart can forget. Each of our boys can be saved and transformed. Each of them holds a valuable place in Christ's Kingdom. One of the boys at our program was wearing a shirt that said "hope never dies" the other day. Its true. God never loses hope. My hope never dies for these boys. With God, these boys will always have hope.

When I post about Alex, I am going to talk about a new branch of ministry we are praying to launch. Its a project my heart lights on fire about, one I want to see come very soon. It would be a place where hope for these boys that have been on the streets a long time can be resurrected. Please be praying for the boys who are hopeless right now, that they would hear God calling in their hearts a song of redemption, and that their "dead" hearts would beat anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment