Friday, July 20, 2012

Moments of Significance

Right now, I am watching lightning illuminate the night sky. It flashes white over the city, and for a moment the beautiful Kampala hillside is revealed. God really blessed this continent with outstanding beauty.

Today, the team from Providence arrived. They are an amazing group, and over the past few years they have put on a week long camp for the boys. This year, we are taking 100 street boys away to Entebbe to stay at an overnight camp. The team is going to run V.B.S. during the day, and our staff is going to handle them the rest of the time. I am especially excited about this for many reasons, but one particular.

For one week, we get the chance to really serve 100 children. 100!!!!! At a normal weekly program, we serve around 70 boys. During the time we are loving them, they are worrying about what comes next. They have to think about what they will eat next, how they will make money, where they will sleep, what will happen to them at night. They are not safe, and therefore cannot hear our love, or our Fathers love properly. But for one week, we get to provide safety for them. They will be warm, and have beds. They will have full bellies, and showers, and a 24/7 staff who just wants to love them.

Next week (really starting tomorrow) I am going to pour all of me out. I am going to bandage endless wounds, serve hundreds of plates of food, and help with a thousand crafts. I am going to cheer for a dozen soccer games, and monitor the pool every second for children who cannot swim. I am going to rub the backs of countless hurting boys, and wipe away every tear that falls. I am going to listen to each mouth that is desperately calling out for my attention. I am going to trust that God will overflow my cup with patience and compassion, which are the marks of His love.  Mostly, I am going to watch God move.

"My greatest fear is that I will become significant in something that has no eternal purpose." 

My friend Lauren shared that quote with me, and honestly, its a real fear in my heart. I am terrified that the things I do on this earth will not bring significance into eternity. What good am I if all I accomplished ends with me. What good is it, even if I am remembered, if it will not matter when those who remember me are gone. It counts for nothing. Again, I am struck my the meaninglessness of wealth, a name that is known, even acts of charity which are empty of God. What does it matter?

Every day I strive to accomplish something that God smiles upon. I will never know what these acts do on this side of heaven, but someday God will show me. I want to hear God say " you loved me when you endlessly loved Kato, Drissa, and Bashil" or "when you fed Alex, Hassan, Vincent and Yahaya you also fed me". Next week I believe, there will be lots of these moments. Who knows what conversation, or act of compassion is going to drive home the love of Jesus.


God, let my each day be pleasing to you. Do not let me waste these breaths You give me, or this life I am blessed with. I pray this for all your believers; that each day we would accomplish something for You and Your kingdom. No matter what the cost, may my life reflect purpose. May it be filled with acts that carry significance into eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment