Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Divine Love

On Monday, me and Abby were walking to programs after we had lunch. We had decided to walk around Kiseka Market instead of through it (for no good reason, especially since its the shortest way). About a block into our walk, we saw a little boy around 10 coming down the street. His clothes were filthy and torn, and he had no shoes. In his hands he held three empty water bottles, as well as a bottle of chenge- this little kid is one of ours. We stopped him and asked his name (Jude) and if he wanted to come to programs. He said yes, but we told him we did not accept drugs into our programs. Immediately, he dropped all the bottles he was carrying, and began to walk with us. A moment later, I asked him how he was, and he said he was "good!" with a huge smile on his face. That day Jude got a new haircut, juice and chapati, and our love.

I cannot describe the love I felt when I saw Jude walking down the street. It did not matter that I had never seen him before; I did not need to know him to love and accept him. It was a moment of instant familiarity and belonging, like he had always had a place in my heart and I just didn't know it yet. Its amazing to me what the love of Christ looks like, that no matter where these kids have been or what they've done, I love them. Sometimes they drive me insane, and sometimes I spend the whole day yelling trying to control them, but I still adore them. My heart lights up with passion and love whenever I see them on the streets, and I want to yell "I LOVE you!" to each little ragged child I spot. Like I said, I cannot even describe it, but I know that I feel this way because Jesus has given me a little piece of His own heart for these kids. And although I only have a small glimpse into His love for them, its still so intense. It both frightens me, and amazes me- the Bible is right when it says we cannot know the depth of our Fathers love for us. I honestly think it would kill me, so much love cannot be contained in a human (more proof that Jesus was who He claimed to be). What is more amazing is that God loves EVERY person He created like this- each one of His children is loved just as strong as the next. When Jesus found me, He called me by name. I was like Jude, lost in this world. Jesus saw me, filthy and broken and needing Him. And His heart lit up with passion infinitely deeper than mine- I was His, and He had found me!

I can only offer these boys (or anyone else) the love that Jesus has given me for them. And while that is strong, it is not enough. His love is deeper, and stronger and everlasting. His love is Divine, and in it, they are secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment