Monday, July 18, 2011

Above Reproach/ God is Moving

There are some things that I do not want to share with Jesus, but at the same time, am honored to be able to say "I understand what He was thinking". In Uganda, being white makes me stand out a lot. When I go out, people are always watching me. They notice how I dress, what I say, where I go, and how I act. When I am at home, the boys are always watching me- even when I am alone in my room, there are often little faces peeping through just to check on me. Here, people see the color of my skin and they immediately assume that I have money. Someone is always asking for something, needing something (sometimes its strangers wanting money, and mostly its my kids needing attention). By the end of the day, I have nothing left to give. I am emotionally exhausted, as well as physically. I used to think I just needed to "suck it up" and keep giving, but awhile ago my friend Cara made a good point. She said that Jesus knows what I am feeling. Wherever He went, people noticed Him. He was always being challenged, and the Pharisees were always waiting for Him to slip up. He had to preach from a boat just to get some breathing space- I know that feeling!! It was such a comfort for me to realize that God really does know what I am going through, and He understand that sometimes its just to much, and I do need time ALONE with Him. Mostly, I am in awe that Jesus would limit all His mighty power into the form of a human, just to experience life like I do. It makes me appreciate that sacrifice all over again, and now I know the reason as well as the price of living (or trying to live) above reproach.

Day by day I am more in awe of how much God moves in this place. When things are desperate, and there is no other way, you can really see God's hand. Today, I got to tell Eddy that I am sending him to boarding school in the fall. Its a really nice Christian school, and it will be so good for him. He was SO excited, and so was I. God put all the pieces into place for me, and its given me some peace about leaving him here in Uganda. At least now I know that he will be in a safe place, with people who care about him. Abdul, who I also blogged about, has been taken to boarding also! Little Peter that lived with Uncle David got taken to the African Hearts home (where Abby used to work) just today. That is three boys in better places in just a few days. Tomorrow I will have the most exciting news ever, but I cannot say until it happens (because I have Ugandan friends who also read this blog :) But people, its a HUGE PRAISE and I cannot wait to tell about it!!!!!!!!!!! Abby and me were talking yesterday about how amazing street kids are. Once they get into your heart, they will not leave. I often feel like I am working in a secretive society of lost boys. These kids do not let anyone in or trust anyone, and yet somehow God has given me the privilege of loving them and being loved in return. They are amazing, empathetic, smart, crafty, and so sweet. But as much love as I have for these kids, only Jesus can save them and change their lives. Only He can heal the deep hurt they have, and He is. Every day, I see His love healing boys who were so broken, hurting, lost or angry. His love is soothing, saving, and bringing peace, blessings and joy to these beautiful children.
Even as I write this, my two Ugandan friends are in my room praying over the ways God is working here, and my heart is glowing and overflowing with love and praises to Jesus!!!

1 comment:

  1. Caitlyn,
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sounds like God is continuing to work in big ways through you and others as you love the street kids of Uganda. Looking forward to 'tomorrow's exciting news!'
    Also, know that I (and others here in Davis) are praying for you, for API, and for Jesus' love to transform the lives of the street kids. Keep living and shining for Jesus!
    Shalom to you, friend,
    Weeraba,
    -kevin

    ReplyDelete