Monday, December 12, 2011

Brothers in Christ

The other day, as me, Abby, David and Abdul were driving home from Bombo (the village where the boy's new home is), some men on a boda started yelling at me. I was inside the taxi, and they were shouting obscene things through the window. David and Abdul are two of the kindest, most calm guys I know, but when they heard the things those men were saying to me, they got mad. They yelled back at the guys, and ended up throwing water through the window at them. I was super embarrassed, but I also felt really protected. This is not an uncommon feeling for me; often I am walking and one of the uncles has to come to my defense. I suppose I would feel more uncomfortable here without them, but they really do care about me, and really will protect me.

When I was younger, I wanted an older brother so badly. I wanted someone to look up to, and to protect me, and come to my defense. I wanted someone to laugh with, and who I could trust and confide in. Now I look around in my life, and I see not one brother, but many. Yesterday, me and Abby were talking about how much these guys have had to overcome. Here in Uganda, its a patriarchal society. Women have no say, and most of the men here treat me with disrespect because they have never been taught different. The uncles we work with have not been taught by their fathers either. They were taught by their Heavenly Father. These men have learned to overcome everything their culture has taught them about women, and have come to see us as God created us. They treat me with respect, honor and love. I am amazed at how much God has worked in their hearts to help them rise above the things this world wanted to teach them. Its just one more way I see God moving hearts over here, and I am so thankful He does!

No comments:

Post a Comment