Sunday, December 2, 2012

Meet My Kids: Kasozi


Kasozi a few months ago
 So I have posted about Kasozi before (read here and here) and I have known him a very long time. With the other boys from Joseph’s House, I am fully expecting God to transform their lives when they come home. But with Kasozi, I am watching God radically transform him while he is still on the streets. Recently, I asked one of our A.P.I.  uncles, Lawrence, to get Kasozi’s story. This is what it said...
“I was only 7 when my parents divorced. My mom couldn’t take me, so I went with my dad. He was in the military, and so he left me with my grandma. She couldn’t feed me though, so I went back with my father. He had already remarried at that time, and my stepmom hated me.

She abused me a lot. At this time I was 9. I am thankful now that God made me live with them, because the things I went through made me a stronger person. I am stronger today for facing those challenges. But after a year of living with my father and stepmother, it was too hard. I had to leave, because they were mistreating me so much. So I ran away to the streets.

Once I got on the streets, I looked for scrap and stayed in Kisenyi. I made friends for the first time in

Kasozi and me on our beach trip
my life. They couldn’t take care of me, or give me food or anything, but they loved me. It was the first time I had real friends. But I had been left by everyone in my life. I had never been loved by anyone [any adult]. I was yearning for love, because I had nobody. But then God brought me Auntie Kate, and Auntie Amy. And they love me. And because of them, I know someone can care about me, and I know God brought them to me. Now I know I am loved. I am so thankful for them, and for the works God is doing in my life!”

*Amy is another full time auntie here. She is a nurse from Canada. She has quickly become a very close friend of mine. Like me she absolutely adores Kasozi, and has a special heart for him. I would also like to note here that one of my previous Kasozi posts was called "Distant Calling"...I think God was laughing at that title, because it was only a few months ago. At the time I thought Joseph's House was years away! God's timing is perfect. Okay back to Kasozi...

Kasozi fills me with joy and love. He is so loyal, and such a good role model for the other boys. He used to fight a lot, and do lots of drugs. Now he never does drugs, and can control his temper very well. I haven’t seen him fight for a long time. He is going to be the oldest in my house, and is the perfect “older brother”. He doesn’t even know about Joseph’s House yet, but he already takes care of the younger boys. He corrects them, makes sure they are listening, and helps them resolve things when they are fighting. He has a special bond with Bashil, which is perfect because Bashil needs a stable role model in the house.


Kasozi chose to come on this night outreach, to protect me!
Kasozi belongs with me. He will stay in the house the shortest length of time. After about a year, I will put him in vocation and help him start saving for his future career. But he deserves this chance. He has been on the streets since he was 10, and he is now at least 15 (probably 16). This amazing child just needed to be loved! I know God is going to do amazing things with Kasozi’s life, and has already started unfolding his plans for Kasozi.


I am so excited to see where God takes him, and so unbelievably blessed to be part of this story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment