Monday, December 3, 2012

Meet My Kids: Waswa


Waswa, with his face painted on Beach Day

So I had said in Sabote’s post that you would get to hear about my 6th boy. Let me tell you about Waswa.

From the beginning, I wanted 5 boys. But I was in constant turmoil because there was always a boy on the periphery. First, I had wanted to take one of the boys currently in our Bombo homes, Enoch. Then some things settled down with Enoch, and I realized that he needed to stay in the Forever Homes. I felt peaceful, because I though God had brought the number down to 5, and that was that.

But the day after I decided about Enoch, I met another boy. He wandered into programs while the team was here. He was filthy, and strait form Kisenyi. Abby was the one who pointed him out to me. She told me his name was Waswa, and that he was really hard to get to know. He has a hard time trusting people, and in the years Abby had known him, he had only said a few words to her. That first day I tried to talk to Waswa, but he wouldn’t really have anything to do with me. I told God I was open to the possibility, but that God had to put me on Waswa’s heart too (I wasn’t going to take a child who wouldn’t even talk to me). The first two times I saw him, he never said more than “hello”, and I was starting to think that God had given me His answer.

Except, you know that weird thing when you meet someone, and then you see them everywhere? Well, after I met this boy (whom I had never seen before), I kept running into him everywhere! I met him in Kisenyi, and while walking around town. Strangely enough, he sleeps on the same street where Yahaya sleeps at night (which is this random little side street). So each night, as I went to see Yahaya and Sabote, I also ran into Waswa. We even took him to the hospital, because he had been sick with malaria for two weeks. But running into him everywhere isn’t the crazy part, the crazy part is what God was doing in Waswa’s heart. Over these little meetings, Waswa decided he loved me. This can only be explained as God, because certainty I didn’t do anything that Abby (or the rest of our staff) hadn’t tried. But still, Waswa trusted me.

So, God had answered me in a way. This child, who has trouble connecting with anyone, inexplicably trusted me. But I still wasn’t sure. I wanted that %110 feeling of peace and clarity that I had with my other boys. It happened that we were taking the boys to the beach the next day, and I invited Waswa. I told God “if you want him in Joseph’s House, place him on my heart tomorrow so I will be sure”. I prayed that over and over again that Friday night, knowing that by the end of Saturday I would be sure. But God is always bigger than we are, and He knows that making Waswa my child was a big decision. On Saturday morning, I woke up early. I wasn’t sure why I had woken up so early, or so
At the beach :)
suddenly. It was kinda a crazy, Jesus moment to be honest. I lay in bed, and waited to for something (I didn’t know what I was waiting for). And then, so softly but so clearly, I felt the Holy Spirit put Waswa on my heart. I know that sounds a little crazy, but its true! I know God woke me up so that I could feel Him do this in the still of the morning. So that I would be sure, and know that He had done it. One second I was waiting in the quiet, and the next my heart was full of a sure and unimaginable love for Waswa.

Waswa is broken, and it breaks my heart. Waswa has been hurt in ways I cannot even fathom. He is about 12, and has been on the streets for over 3 years. He is the ultimate victim, never fighting back, and he is easily bullied. Honestly, I don’t know how he has survived on the streets this long. Bad things happen, and his escape is to become invisible. He is the kind of child that can sit in a room with you, and you would never notice him. But God never lost sight of him, and now I see him too. Bless his heart, Waswa is sweet! He is the sweetest of my boys by far. He loves to be hugged, and needs me to hold his hand when we are walking. He finally has someone he loves and trusts, who loves him back. Because of this, his behavior has regressed to that of a very small child. He has never had someone to take care of him, and he has been longing for it. A few days ago, we took the boys to the zoo. In the taxi, Waswa held my hand the whole way, and he was sitting in the row behind me... At the zoo, he didn’t wander from my side.

Me and Waswa at the zoo
Waswa is quiet, and funny, and kind. He sees the other boys, and is a good friend. He is so precious!! I am so glad that I got to feel God place him on my heart. I am so thankful that God allowed me to see what He sees: to really see Waswa! See who he is, and what he needs, and all that God created him to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment