Monday, October 15, 2012

You're Perfect

So I posted about it last time, but currently God has put a boy named Kasozi on my heart. He is a boy I've known for a long time, but its only recently that God called me to love him specifically. I would guess he is about 14 or 15, and he is really rough around the edges. He was resettled awhile ago, but ran away again. Sometime in his absence from our programs, he acquired a nasty scar across his nose; evidence he was having a hard time. He does so many drugs that he is high almost all the time and always has a dazed look on his face. And he fights a lot with the other boys. But unlike most boys, he doesn't just explode and go blindly swinging. When Kasozi fights, he aims to hurt, and he usually can. 

Still, one day he wandered into programs (I say wandered because that is what he does... he never seems to know how he got somewhere). He looked high and dirty as ever, but something in my heart changed toward him that day. I saw what God sees; a lost boy. As I observed him that day, my heart filled with love for him. He isn't just a troublemaker, he is so much more than that. He is a boy who has never had someone to be good for. Nobody has ever trusted him, or expected him to be the best he can be. But I do... I expect great things from this great boy. He still flights, and does drugs, but he also listens better. He comes to programs regularly, because he knows I expect him to be there. I expect him to behave, and so he is respectful during my lessons. I trust him, and so he is trustworthy. I wait for him to show up each day, and I greet him with a smile. He knows I love him, and so he is loyal. He is always near me, always watching out for me. I knew these qualities where in Kasozi, but he didn't. Sometimes a child just needs to know you believe in them. I believe in Kasozi :)

You can't even see his scar!
So for a solid week, I have been trying to take a picture of him. I have wanted to blog about him, but I wanted you readers to be able to see his beautiful face! But as much as I wanted this picture, Kasozi resisted. He refused to let me get a shot of him! It was driving me crazy, and so today at programs I asked Uncle Abdul to help me. Abdul called him over, and told him I wanted a picture. It was immediately obvious why he didn't want this picture taken- he kept covering his face and hiding the scar. It has become a pretty defining feature of his face, and so I never think about it. But for him, a street kid without access to a mirror often, it must look new and sad every time he sees it. The other boys picked up on his discomfort, and I felt so helpless as they made fun of him. It broke my heart, and made me so angry! I did finally get a photo, but he was so embarrassed it wasn't even worth it. After programs had ended, I decided to try again. I asked David to go and talk with him, and I explained Kasozi's discomfort. David went and talked with him, and eventually Kasozi came to me. He said it was okay to take a photo with him, and so I did. After I had showed it to him, I told him how much I love him and how he is exactly who God created him to be. I told him that I didn't see his scar when I looked at him; instead I see a brave and wonderful boy. I feel honored that he trusted me enough to allow me to take that simple picture, but I desperately want him to see what I see.

That he is beautiful. That he is good. That he is special. That he has talent. That he is strong. That he can do great things. That he is more than a street kid. That he is perfected in the blood of Christ. That he is God's masterpiece. But mostly, that he is loved. He is so loved! 

Please pray with me, for Kasozi. That he would see what I see, which is the amazing child that God created.  That he could see himself through God's eyes, and know just how loved he really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment