Friday, September 9, 2011

Tu Mutende

Tu Mutende is one of my favorite luganda songs. Its called "we praise Him" in English. I praise my King for the amazing things He did in my last few days in Uganda.

Last time I posted, my two kids had run away. Little Bashil, whom I love and adore, was gone because he was angry at me. I was so worried and heartbroken, sure that the damage done my me leaving could not be fixed. I had little faith though, because God is bigger than me, and His healing is amazing. Two nights ago, the boys came home on their own (meaning they realized their mistake and wanted to be back in our home). Bashil apologized and said he did not like the streets, and that he was so sorry and would never run again. He wasn't even mad at me for leaving- he told me he loved me and continued to spend time with me up until the moment I left. This is remarkable, and seriously shows how far he has come from the broken, stubborn, guarded child that first came into Abby's home. God has done beautiful things in healing that child, and I am more in love with Jesus for it (if that is possible).

On Wednesday night, I went to my friend David's house (David who does the paper beads). We had a little goodbye dinner with some of the street kids I am closest to. It was an amazing night. Me, David, Uncle Mark, and about 15 of our kids sat in David's one room house. By candlelight, we read stories out of the bible just to entertain the boys. We sang and prayed for about 30min, and ate together. I got a chance to just share with those boys how much I love them. It was there, in that little room with candles, listening to David's rich African voice sing worship that I again realized how much I love my God. I love Him for being a King of all people, all languages, and all places. I love Him for creating me for Africa, and for sending me there.

Thursday night I took the boys at our home a special dinner. We ate together, and played some cards, and then I said goodbye. It was hard leaving, but its easier knowing I will be back in December. Even so, I was sobbing by the time I left. I know my boys love me, and I that God put them in my life to stay. In the 10 weeks I am home in America, I will be thinking of them and the street kids, every day.

One prayer request I have is that I would be able to serve God equally effectively for the boys while I am in America. That means not sinking into depression because I am not in Africa. Please pray that God gives me joy in serving Him wherever I am, because I know that His plans for me (even regarding my kids) do not end here. There is so much work to be done, so let my heart be willing :)

I am going to board my flight soon, but as I leave there are a few things that my heart is sure of. The first is that God created me for this- for working with street kids and living in Uganda. He made my heart specifically for this work, and I am so blessed to know that. When I get home, I am going to begin my application with GTN, and then spend the next few months gathering support to become a full time missionary here. The second thing goes along with that, and it is that Uganda is my home. I know that no matter how long I am gone from this place, it will always be my home. This is not goodbye to Uganda, this is just the end of the beginning. The end of finding my calling, and getting comfortable with the idea of being here full time. Now Uganda is my reality, and I am prepared and in love with the idea of living out what God has called me to do with my life!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Caitlin,! it was much fun having dinna with you at Davids' (H) with the the grate boy i love so very much It was pretty hard for me to detect how you were filling to say bye, coz' I now it is hard always to say bye, that is why even i tried to leave without saying bye to you but at the same time i guess they are beloved beautiful friends that were missing you home. am happy and so gratefully assured that I will be seeing you soon.....!!

    ReplyDelete