Saturday, April 13, 2013

Prayers for Enoch

So when Joseph's House was first starting, there was a boy in our A.P.I. Forever homes that I felt like God was placing on my heart. For this particular boy, I was confused because he was already in our Forever homes, and he was doing okay there.

Enoch is pretty young, maybe 10 or 11. I first met him in Kisenyi in December two years ago. He was super sick with malaria, and I convinced him to come to programs to get treatment. I really love him, but at first he was WAY to wild to come into our homes. Over time though, God really changed his little heart, and he was able to come home. Since then, he has run away several times. He has a stubbornness about him due to extreme trauma, and can be really difficult at times. That being said, God has really been transforming him over the past year.

Because he was doing better, we (me and Abby) decided that he should stay in the Forever Homes. Our idea was that if he was doing well, placing him in Joseph's House would bring him down as far as any behavioral progress he makes. That being said, I decided that if he was on the streets when Joseph's House opened, and unable to come back to the Forever Homes, I would take him. I think God wanted me to know he would be in my house, but I also really wanted him to do well in Bombo, so I prayed that he would stay there. But while we were in America this winter, he ran away again. He has been on the streets again for awhile, and by all accounts is not doing so well. This was all the confirmation I needed, and we decided that Enoch would come into J House so he can get the individualized attention he needs. I really believe he can make it in our homes... the trouble right now is finding him.

A few weeks ago, Abby had a nightmare about Enoch, and this dream was what prompted us to decide for sure that he should come to Joseph's House (because he needs to get off the streets). Abby dreams a lot, and I thought she was just worried about Enoch and therefore dreaming about him. I however almost never remember my dreams, and so on Tuesday this week when I had a nightmare about Enoch, it really worried me. It was super vivid, and while I don't usually give credit to my dreams, this one felt like a divine warning. In it, Enoch was on the streets, small and dirty. He was surrounded by a group of men, and I couldn't see him because they were crowded around him. I could hear him calling though, and I got scared and ran toward him. I pushed my way through the circle of men, and saw him lying on the ground, somehow hurt. He was crying and obviously afraid. I picked him up, and he put his head on my shoulder. I then proceeded to carry my very scared little boy home, where I knew he would be safe.

After having this dream, I started asking around for Enoch. It suddenly occurred to me that nobody (on our staff, or even the other boys) had seen him for awhile. Considering that the network of street kids is pretty tight (though it may seem hard), its actually relatively easy to track down a particular kid in Kampala if you are really looking for him. But for several days now, I have been looking- really looking- and there is no sign of him. The kids in Kisenyi say he is in Wandegyre. The boys in Wandegyre say he is hiding in Kisenyi. Some kids say he is in hiding, because he stole a pair of skates, and others say he was arrested for this same crime. Still other boys say he is in a home with a program called Tigers, but the boys in these Tigers homes say he ran away two weeks ago. The staff of these homes claim they have never seen him, but are on the lookout.

Bottom line, I cannot find him. And like any parent, I am starting to seriously worry. I know that one of the above stories is probably true, but still its odd that we haven't seen him (or that nobody has). Enoch should have heard by now that I am looking for him. He knows us, he trusts us, and it seems out of character that he would continue to hide. Maybe he ashamed for running away, but when he first ran away, we (as a staff) saw him regularly around town... My mind runs away with horrible scenarios, because there IS real danger for a little boy in a big city. Child sacrifice is still practiced in rural Uganda, and boys are soled and traded. There is deadly illness, and mob justice for thieves. I know God has Enoch in His hands, but I would appreciate prayers for him right now. Because even if Enoch is totally fine, and just in hiding, he is still a little kid. He is just a child who is lost and needs a family. He belongs to our A.P.I. family, and in only 9 days I would like to bring him home. But I cannot do that unless I find him.

Please pray that God reveals Enoch, so that our lost child can come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment